April 26, 2012

warning.

 This is a WARNING.
I have a new fear. This fear began on a brisk night in Rexburg, Idaho. On this particular night, my roommates Emily, Sarah, and myself decided to warm up in our Birch Plaza apartment hot tub. We shook off all the dust off of our bath suits and hurried across the parking lot to the hot tub. It was waiting for us. We first dipped our toes into the tub to make sure it was warm enough and before we knew it, our whole bodies were emerged. We each took an edge of the hot tub and relaxed our bodies. Emily and I laughed about the time after graduation when we lounged in her hot tub for 3 hrs. The hot tub was so soothing & we all agreed at how relaxed we felt.

The next day we did not feel so relaxed. Emily woke up with red spots all over her body. Within the next couple of days, Sarah and I began to see the same red dots over our bodies as well! They were itchy, like chicken pocks, except they weren't chicken pocks. We diagnosed ourselves with leprosy. The itchiness got so bad that all three of us visited the health center on campus. The doctor told each one of us that our disease was in fact caused by the hot tub and gave us each a tub of ointment to put on our spots at least 2 times a day. Are you stinkin' kidding me?!

So I rest my case & my fear of hot tubs still exists. Never, I repeat NEVER, step into a hot tub unless you are positive that you will not get leprosy. I have not been in a hot tub since and will probably never step foot in one again. Thank you, Birch Plaza, for your warm hospitality.

No comments: